Saturday, September 15, 2012

Phoenix

Last month I had to go to Phoenix for my 3rd year of residency to discuss the dissertation process. Hopefully this was my last year going as I plan to finish next year. I was the only student who had my three chapters completed and ready to submit to the Internal Review Board for approval. The first five days were about the Scholar, Practice, Leadership model, which really could have been done in three days. The next three days were about chapter 3 of the dissertation and submitting. It was so boring for me because I had nothing to work on. The final day I asked the professor if I could go back to the hotel. I did not think he would let me but he did and just told me to come back before four to check-out. The day before I sat all day and watched TV on my laptop. Really not that exciting but I finally had one day out at the pool with Michael, which was really nice.
The weather there is horrible - it never cools down. The only restaurant close by is Denny's, which is right in front of the hotel. But each night Michael and I would walk up the street. The first night we did not walk that far. The next morning Michael walked further up to ASU so we started walking up there each night and a little around campus. There were more eating places (yay!) and a pharmacy. Michael suggested that we get Tyler a shot glass from ASU so one evening we looked on a map for the bookstore. The map said to walk down the avenue of palms. We started walking in the direction we thought was correct but there were no signs. I almost asked someone if we were on the avenue of the palms and then we happened to look up. The path was lined with palm trees. We just laughed at ourselves and were glad we did not ask. Yes, we are geniuses. The book store was closed but Michael went back during the day and got him a couple of glasses from Tempe and ASU at the pharmacy.
We found a fantastic restaurant that we ate at three times because it was so good. It is called Oregano's and if you are ever in Tempe you must eat there. The service is the best I've ever had and the food amazing. The first night we got the Rosemary, Chicken, Potato thin crust. The next night we got the meatball sandwich, which is to die for. It is so large that splitting it we could not finish and the pizza cookie (heavenly!). The address in Tempe is 523 W. University Drive.


I was so glad Michael went with me as it would have been dreadful eating at Denny's alone each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment